4-5 T butter
1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, minced
1/4 lb sliced fresh mushrooms OR a handful of dried mushrooms, reconstituted in tepid water and drained
2 chicken breasts, filleted
squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup white wine or sherry (port works too if cooking with heartier mushrooms like boletes or morels)
1/2 cup whipping cream
Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
lemon juice, salt, and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat.
2. Season the chicken fillets with the lemon and add some salt and pepper.
3. Add the shallot and saute a moment without browning. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to turn golden. Remove from pan.
4. Brown seasoned chicken on both sides over medium-high heat, remove from pan and keep warm.
5. Add the wine to the pan juices (should be about 1/3 cup) and bring to a rapid boil, cooking the mixture down until it becomes syrupy. Add the cream, return to the boil and allow the sauce to slightly thicken. Season with the parsley and adjust seasonings if necessary.
6. Return the chicken & mushrooms to the pan and coat with sauce. Serve immediately.